Throughout this trying spring we have remained optimistic that we could hold our June shows, as the notion of not doing so is crushing. But the thought of anyone coming into harm’s way because of Covid-19 is even more concerning.
Unfortunately, the threat from the global pandemic has not subsided. As of May 9, there are over 1.3 million confirmed cases in the United States with a staggering death toll. In our state, Governor Inslee has extended the shelter-in-place order limiting public gatherings, which directly impacts us. Kittitas County where the Washington State Horse Park is located (and one of only 5 counties that could apply for an exemption to the state-wide directive) has recently seen an uptick in cases and has delayed their phased reopening. Local businesses in and around Cle Elum that support our community have also remained severely impacted.
As such, we have made the decision to cancel both the Swiftwater Invitational (June 10-14) and the Alpine Preview (June 17-21) shows for this season. As hard as this is to share with you, it is the only decision reasonably open to us and the only responsible action to take out of respect for the health and safety of our entire community. If you have already submitted entries or stabling reservations for our June shows, any and all of your deposits will be refunded or remain unprocessed.
We are currently still planning on and looking forward to our July Pacific Crest Open and Outreach shows. We are exploring options for extending that week or possibly adding a week preceding it. We will update you as soon as possible. Thank you for your ongoing support and understanding.
We have also received the latest USEF COVID-19 Action Plan for Returning Safely to Competition which includes a comprehensive list of requirements and recommendations. We recommend everybody read through it as it will help prepare you for what the “new normal” of showing will look like for the foreseeable future.
Stay healthy and ride on,
Cascade Horse Shows